Handicaps and Spreads both are really different? Lets find out the details…
In sports betting, a “handicap” and a “spread” are used to create a level playing field between two teams with uneven abilities by giving one team an advantage in the form of points.
When a handicap is applied to a game, the team that is considered to be the underdog is given a virtual head start in terms of points. This means that even if they lose the game, they will still be ahead by the number of points given in the handicap. For example, if Team A is a strong favorite to win a game against Team B, a handicap of +3.5 may be applied to the game. This means that Team B starts the game with a 3.5-point lead, so even if they lose the game by 3 points, a bet on Team B would still be a winning bet because of the handicap.
A “spread” is similar to a handicap, but it is usually expressed as a whole number rather than a fraction. For example, a spread may be set at 7 points, meaning that the favorite team needs to win by more than 7 points in order for a bet on them to be successful. The spread is used to make betting on the game more interesting and fair by giving the underdog team a chance to win, even if they are not expected to win the game outright.
In summary, both Handicap and Spread are used to level the playing field between two teams by giving one team an advantage in the form of points. Handicaps are usually expressed as fractions or decimal points and Spreads are usually expressed as whole numbers.
Best way to find Handicaps and Spreads
There are several ways to find handicaps and spreads for different sports and games. Some of the most common ways include:
- Sportsbooks: Most online sportsbooks and bookmakers will offer handicaps and spreads for a wide range of sports and games. They are a reliable source for the latest odds and lines.
- News websites: Many news websites and sports news outlets will publish the latest odds and lines for upcoming games and matches.
- Social media: Many professional sports bettors and experts share their opinions and analysis of the latest odds and lines on social media platforms like Twitter, Reddit, and Facebook.
- Specialized websites: There are also specialized websites that specifically track and provide handicaps and spreads for different sports and games. They are usually a great source of information and analysis.
- Consult a professional handicapper: You can also consult with a professional handicapper who can provide you with their expert analysis and picks on the games.
It’s important to note that you should use multiple sources of information to get a better understanding of the odds and lines for a given game or match. As well as, you should always read the terms and conditions of the sportsbook before placing a bet.